DISCOVER SHETLAND WITH LOCAL EXPERTS
Join us on an unforgettable journey to discover Shetland and our unique textile heritage. Our tours are designed to give you an insight into Shetland’s knitting traditions and local textile industry.
The trips provide local knowledge and history as well as excellent learning opportunities in knitting from local expert tutors.
You will also visit some of Shetland’s most scenic locations and sample delicious local produce.
‘Knitting in Shetland’ trip includes:
- A visit to Shetland Museum and Archives where we will be given a guided tour of the textile collection which was deemed a Recognised Collection of National Significance in Scotland in 2013.
- A visit to a local crofter to learn about Shetland Sheep in their native environment
- A visit to the Sandness spinning mill, home of Jamieson’s of Shetland yarn*
- A visit to Shetland Textile Museum, a vibrant centre of Shetland’s textile culture and heritage
- A visit to Jamieson & Smith where we will learn about the art of wool sorting and grading
- A visit to the Unst Heritage Centre to view their famous lace collection
- A Fair Isle master class with Donna Smith
- A master class in Shetland lace by expert knitters in Unst
- Shades of Shetland master class with Donna Smith
- A master class on colour with Wilma Malcolmson
- An introduction to the history of Shetland textiles by Dr Carol Christiansen
- A walking tour of Lerwick – step back in time to the 18th century to the days of the Dutch fishermen, smugglers and whalers. Absorb the atmosphere and hear stories about the old closses, courts and lodberries.
* Please note that Jamieson’s is a working mill so a tour of the factory is not always possible. If this is the case an alternative programme will be provided.
The price includes:
- Five nights accommodation in a centrally located guesthouse in Lerwick
- Transport within Shetland*
- All meals, tea & cake, wine with dinner
- Knitting master classes led by some of Shetland’s top tutors
- Knitting materials
- A goodie bag
*Please note that travel to and from Shetland is not included in the price.
We keep our groups size small, with a maximum number of 12 participants, to ensure quality. Our expert tutors and guides are always on hand to help you and provide you with an individual and truly personal experience.
We have a team of talented and experienced tutors, who have a wide range of textile knowledge and expertise.
Great food is a real focus of our Shetland Wool Adventures. We know that delicious meals are just as important to our guests as visiting beautiful locations in Shetland and learning new skills. We take great pride in the food we serve to our guests and always ensure there is plenty of it.
The food on your holiday is all prepared by local chefs, who are passionate about using local produce to create delicious and balanced meals each day. We make sure all meals are healthy as well as tasty, and we’ll make every effort to accommodate any dietary needs you may have.
Shetland Wool Adventures is a company committed to customer satisfaction and consumer financial protection. We are therefore pleased to announce that, at no extra cost to you, and in accordance with ”The Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 1992” all passengers booking with Shetland Wool Adventures are fully insured for the initial deposit, and subsequently the balance of monies paid as detailed in your booking confirmation form. The policy will also include repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of Shetland Wool Adventures. This insurance has been arranged by Towergate Chapman Stevens through Zurich Insurance PLC.
In the unlikely event of Insolvency, you must Inform Towergate Chapman Stevens immediately on +44 (0) 1932 334140 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure you retain the booking confirmation form as evidence of cover and value.
Policy exclusions: This policy will not cover any monies paid for Travel Insurance or any claim relating to Air Flights. Please ensure the company you have booked with has the appropriate CAA / ATOL Bonds in place.
If you would like to be sent the full itinerary or reserve a space for this trip please email email@example.com